Welcome to the section of the website where you can find out more about the school’s governors, and the work that we do.
Our main role is to support and challenge the Headteacher and the staff – the phrase often used to describe this role is ‘a critical friend’. We help them to set and reach targets and to strive for excellence across the whole spectrum of school life.
At the beginning of each academic year, the FGB sets out a timetable of Agendas for meetings to cover all our statutory responsibilities and an Action Plan to focus on our key priorities for the year. The key documents used for this are the
- School Development Improvement Plan (SDIP)
- Ofsted Action Plan/School Self Evaluation Plan
- Governors Review data from previous year
The SDIP sets out a strategic plan for the school, with targets that everyone works towards and provides key monitoring points for each of the Committees.
Our legal duties include :-
- setting strategic direction, policies and objectives
- approving the school budget
- reviewing progress against the school’s budget and objectives
- appointing, challenging and supporting the headteacher
Our priorities for this Academic Year 2016/17 include:
- Maths : To improve the progress (value added) in maths throughout the school ensuring progress is in line with or above national, inc higher achievers and vulnerable groups
- Assesent: To ensure regular, consistent and accurate teacher assessments across the school, in order to inform planning and enable good progress to be achieved
- Self evaluation: The development of rigorous self evaluation across all the school stakeholders
- Governance: To develop and improve leadership and management within the governing body ensuring support and challenge are provided to the school staff
The Governing Body meets at least once every term (once every 6-8 weeks). We have set up committees and working groups to look at particular issues (such as pay, performance management, buildings development, community links).
The Finance Committee (including Headteacher and the School Finance Officer) meet regularly to keep an eye on school finances between our termly governor meetings. All governors are informed about what happens at these monthly finance meetings and the Chair of Governors, where required, signs approval of our required Finance Returns.
There are several categories of governor, appointed by different groups that have an interest in the school. These are Community governors, the Local Authority (“LA”), Parents, and Staff. All governors have equal status, however they are appointed except Associate Governors who have advisory status but no voting rights.
This website also has a list of our school governors, their roles and committees.
We are committed to providing and excellent environment for all pupils to enjoy during their time at our school.
King’s Lodge School
Governor’s roles and responsibilites 2016-17
|Name||Title||Type||Term of Office||Committee||Sub Group||Link Gov||Relationships|
|Michael Buckley||Vice Chair Staffing & Curriculum
|Authority||September 2018||STAFFING & CURRICULUM||Pay panel||Pupil Premium||None|
|Richard Emerson-Pink||co-opted||September 2018||FINANCES & PREMISES||Pay panel||Health and Safety and Contracts
|Victoria Jones||Co-opted||FINANCE & PREMISES||None|
|Dewi Jones||Chair Finance & Premises||Co-opted||June 2017||FINANCE & PREMISES||Maths|| Nephew
of Chris Brown
|Ian Stone||Vice Chair Finance & Premises||Parent||June 2017||FINANCE & PREMISES||Appeals Panel||Pupil Voice||None|
|Debbie Price||Co-opted||September 2018||FINANCE & PREMISES|| HT PM
|Chris Harlock||CO-OPTED||June 2017||FINANCE & PREMISES||SCIP|| Whistle -Blowing/
|Peter Shewring||Deputy Head||Staff||September 2016||STAFFING & CURRICULUM|| Pupil Voice
Health & Safety
|Jackie Woodhead||CO-OPTED||June 2017||Staff Rep||None|
|Kim Spencer||Head||Head||ALL||FINANCE & PREMISES
STAFFING & CURRICULUM
|James Stewart||Community||September 2017||STAFFING & CURRICULUM||Appeals Panel||Data||None|
|Chris Brown||Chair||Community||June 2017||STAFFING & CURRICULUM||HT PM|| Well Being
|Aunt of Dewi Jones|
|Pete Reading||Chair Staffing & Curriculum||Parent||May 2018||STAFFING & CURRICULUM||HT PM||Science/ STEM||None|
|Louise Romain||Associate||March 2017||–||None|
|King’s Lodge School
Governor Attendance Record 2016/17
|28th Sept 16||24th Nov 16||26th Jan 17||16th Mar 17||18th May 17||5th July 17||Total|